Add a Scope of Practice
I am a Registered Medical Laboratory Scientist
If you are a registered scientist who is seeking employment as a technician or pre-analytical technician, you will need to hold an APC as a technician or a pre-analytical technician. You can apply to the Council to add scope of practice.
As a medical laboratory technician or medical laboratory pre-analytical technician you:
- will be required to work under the direction of a registered medical laboratory scientist or other appropriately registered health practitioner: and
- medical laboratory technicians must meet the Council's recertification requirements for medical laboratory technicians.
I am a Registered Medical Laboratory Pre-Analytical Technician
If you would like to add the medical laboratory technician scope of practice there are three possible routes:
- If you hold an approved qualification for example QMLT or Bachelor of Science from a New Zealand university and are already registered (provisional or full), you can apply for a change of scope. You will initially be provisionally registered in the MLT scope and will be required to complete a specified length of time under supervision.
- If you have completed the Qualified Phlebotomy Technician (QPT), Qualified Donor Technician (QDT) or the Qualified Specimen Services Technician (QSST) and want to add the MLT scope based on an overseas Bachelor of Science qualification, you can apply for a change of scope. Your application will be treated as a new application from an overseas trained applicant, please click here for application and documentation requirements. You will initially be provisionally registered in the MLT scope and will be required to complete a specified length of time under supervision.
- If you do not hold an approved qualification for registration as a medical laboratory technician you will be required to complete a suitable qualification before applying to the council to add the MLT scope