Required Qualifications and Experience:
As a New Zealand graduate you will need to have achieved the following to be eligible to apply for registration as an Anaesthetic Technician:
- Completed either the Diploma in Applied Science (Anaesthetic Technology) or the Graduate Certificate in Science (Anaesthetic Technology) at the Auckland University of Technology, (or one of the two New Zealand qualifications approved as being substantially equivalent); and/or
- Completed three-years fulltime equivalent clinical experience as a Trainee Anaesthetic Technician (or 18-months/2-years if you qualified for a shorter training period due to previous health qualifications and did the Graduate Certificate course of study); and/or
- Completed the Anaesthetic Technician registration examination; and
- Can demonstrate you are fit for registration
Please note the fee to apply for registration is non-refundable if your application is not successful.
How do I Register with the Council?
Applications are now completed online, by clicking on the Register online button. You will be required to submit the below documentation:
- 1 x completed Certificate of Standing and Experience
- 1 x completed Certificate of Competence and Experience
- 1 x certified copy of your academic qualification(s);
- 1 x certified copy of the results of your Anaesthetic Technician registration examination;
- 1 x certified passport-style photograph
- Evidence of name change if applicable;
- An original police certificate that is no more than three months old from each country you have lived and worked in for 12 months or more over the last 10 years.
Note: a certified copy means that it must be confirmed as being a true and accurate copy and/or likeness and signed by a Justice of the Peace, a lawyer, a Member of Parliament, or any other person authorised to take statutory declarations.
Providing the Council has received all the required documents and they have been accurately completed, along with the fees payment, you can expect to be informed of the outcome of your application for registration within 10 working days of receipt.
Please note, once you have been granted registration you must apply to the Council for an annual practising certificate (APC) to be able to practise as an Anaesthetic Technician in any New Zealand hospital/healthcare facility.