MLS Registration – Holders of any other New Zealand Qualification
If you hold a qualification outside of the prescribed qualification or a qualification that has been approved by the Council as being substantially equivalent to the prescribed qualification, your registration application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Upon the receipt of all required documentation, your registration application will be referred to the Council's Registration Committee for review.
Applications are to be made through the online registration link. Please note the fee to apply for registration is non-refundable if your application is not successful.
Once you have completed your online application, you will receive a confirmation email with a checklist that is to be included along with the following documentation:
- A certified copy of your qualification. A photocopy may be certified as a true copy by a solicitor, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, or an Officer of the Court; and
- Curriculum Vitae; and
- Two Certificates of Standing and Experience (personal and professional) completed by persons unrelated to you. Click here for the certificate of standing and experience; and
- Your application must be accompanied with the registration fee payment, you can make payment online when you complete the online application; and
- Evidence of name change if applicable; and
- A complete academic transcript of the course from the training institution where the course of study was undertaken. To include a list of the subjects taken, the grades/marks obtained, and associated information on the grading system used; and
- If requested by the Council, you may also need to supply a complete academic syllabus (curriculum), detailing the contents of each subject and hours required for each year of study; and
- A criminal conviction notice that is no more than three months old. Please note, criminal check certificates issued by a third party will not be accepted. Click here for the criminal convictions request form.
How long will the registration process take?
As a holder of an "other" qualification, your provisional registration application may, subject to being received with all the required documentation and the full registration fee payment, take up to 12 weeks to process, especially if the application needs to be referred to a full Council meeting.
Once you have been approved for provisional registration, confirmation of your registration should be received within 10 working days from the day the registration application was approved by the Council.
What Happens Next?
Once provisional registration has been granted you must apply to the Council for an annual practising certificate prior to beginning work as a registered medical laboratory scientist.
You can apply for your APC online, by clicking on the button found on the Council’s website and follow the instructions.