Medical Laboratory Technician
When you apply to the Medical Sciences Council for registration as a medical laboratory technician you will be required to provide a number of documents as evidence that you have the required qualifications and experience that demonstrate you are competent and fit to practise in the relevant scope of practice in the profession of medical laboratory science.
All applications are to be made through the online registration link. Once completed, you will receive a confirmation email with a checklist to be included with your application with the required documentation.
Please note: Once your registration has been granted you must apply to the Council for an annual practising certificate (APC) prior to beginning work as a registered medical laboratory technician.
If your application is successful you will be granted professional registration. This means you will be practising under the supervision of a registered health practitioner who has been approved by the Council for a period as stipulated by the Council.
How long will I be supervised for?
You will be advised of how long your period of supervised practice will be once your registration application has been approved. However it will be for at least 3-months and can be up to a maximum of 24-months.
If your period of provisional registration is for a period of more than 6-months your supervisor may be required to provide the Council with interim progress reports. You and your supervisor will be advised of the timing for submission of those reports at the time of your registration and issue of an annual practising certificate.
How do I gain full registration?
At the end of your provisional registration period you will need to provide:
- Completed certification of competence and experience form (to be completed by supervisor)
- Certified copy of QMLT qualification certificate awarded by NZIMLS
Once these have been submitted to the Council, they will be reviewed and you will be granted full registration and have your APC re-issued to you at no cost.
Medical Laboratory Technicians with full registration are required to practise under the direction of a registered medical laboratory scientist or other registered health practitioner approved by the Council who has relevant expertise and knowledge in the discipline within which you are practising.
Qualified Medical Laboratory Technician (QMLT) Qualification
- Have completed a minimum of six-calendar month’s employment in an appropriately accredited NZ laboratory and passed the Qualified Medical Laboratory Technician (QMLT) examination as set by the New Zealand Institute of Medical Laboratory Science (NZIMLS).
Substantially equivalent New Zealand Qualification
- Hold a New Zealand Bachelor of Science degree (or equivalent) with a major in a relevant biological science.
Other New Zealand Qualification
- Hold a Level 6 New Zealand Certificate in Science in a relevant biological science.