MLT Registration - Holders of overseas qualification

If you hold an overseas qualification in Medical Laboratory Science or equivalent you can apply for registration with the Council. The Council will assess your qualification to determine if this is substantially equivalent to the prescribed qualification. All applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Applications are to be made through the online registration link. Please note the fee to apply for registration is non-refundable if your application is not successful

Required documentation

Once you have completed your online application, you will receive a confirmation email with a checklist that is to be included along with the following documentation:

  • A certified copy of your qualification. A photocopy may be certified as a true copy by a solicitor, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, or an Officer of the Court;
  • Two Certificates of Standing and Experience (personal and professional) completed by persons unrelated to you. Click here for the certificate of standing and experience;
  • One passport-style photograph signed with your usual signature and certified to be a true likeness of yourself (stating your name) by a referee of a Justice of the Peace on the reverse;
  • If you are registered with a licensing/registration authority in your home country, please provide evidence of your current registration status and a current Certificate of Good Standing (not more than 6-months old). The Certificate of Good Standing should state that there are no outstanding complaints against you in regard to your conduct as a health professional;
  • Evidence of employment in an overseas medical laboratory if applicable;
  • Evidence of name change if applicable;
  • A certificate of completion of the Health Care and the Treaty of Waitangi module;
  • A copy of your IELTS examination results (if required);
  • A police certificate that is no more than three months old.  Please note, criminal check certificates issued by a third party will not be accepted;
  • A complete academic transcript (in English) of the medical laboratory science course from the training institution where your course of study was undertaken. To include a list of the subjects taken, the grades/marks obtained, and associated information on the grading system used;
  • Academic syllabus (curriculum), detailing the contents of each subject and hours required for each year of study;click here for further information
  • If applicable, copy of your clinical log book detailing laboratory procedures completed during clinical component of qualification

English Language Requirements

Communicating laboratory results and liaising with medical staff and colleagues is a core competency required of a medical laboratory technologist working within the laboratory environment.

All registration applicants must meet the Council's English language requirements.  Refer to the policy to find out if you are required to undertake the IELTS assessment.

For more information on undertaking an IELTS assessment click

Criminal history checks

The following criminal history checks are accepted by the Council:

For countries not on this list, please check the Immigration New Zealand website.

How long will the registration process take?

As a holder of an overseas qualification, your registration application may, subject to being received with all the required documentation and the full registration fee payment, take up to 12 weeks to process, especially if the application needs to be referred to a full Council meeting.

Once you have been approved for registration, confirmation of registration should be received within 5 working days from the day the registration application was approved by the Council.

What Happens Next?

Once provisional registration has been granted you must apply to the Council for an annual practising certificate prior to beginning work as a registered medical laboratory technician.

You can apply for your APC online, by clicking on the button found on the Council’s website and follow the instructions.

Not Yet Arrived in New Zealand?

Please note that while you can apply for registration while still living overseas, when you want to practise in New Zealand you will need to hold an annual practising certificate (APC).  You cannot apply for an APC until you are either resident in New Zealand or are able to provide the Council with supporting evidence of your pending move to New Zealand.