Expressions of interest for the Māori Practitioners Advisory Committee are now closed. Thank you for your submissions. 


Ceasing or returning to practise

Ceasing practise

Please notify the Council if you are:

  • Retiring
  • Moving overseas
  • Changing careers
  • Going on parental leave

Or any other reason you might be ceasing practise and no longer require a current APC.

Returning to practise

If you wish to return to practice you need to meet the return to practice requirements.  Those requirements will differ depending on when you ceased practising in New Zealand and whether or not you have lived or practised overseas since you last held an APC.

Please note, if you have not practised for more than 3 years, you may be required to meet further return to practice requirements. For more information, please refer to the return to practice policy below. 

If you wish to return to practice, you will need to:


Please provide two written professional references

Work History

A verifiable work history for the time you were practising overseas (if applicable).


Apply online for an APC.

Curriculum Vitae

Please provide an updated Curriculum Vitae.

Evidence of Professional Status

Certificates of professional status (or equivalent) from relevant regulatory agencies in each of the countries you have been practising in since you were first registered or ceased practice (whichever is most recent) in New Zealand (if applicable).

Criminal History

A criminal history/police report, which is no more than six months old, from any country you have lived for 12-months or more (including New Zealand) since you were first registered or last held an APC (whichever is most recent). Please ensure all current and previous names are included in the check. 

Please note: Only the following criminal history checks will be accepted by the Council:

For countries not on this list, please check with the Council. The Immigration New Zealand website may provide some guidance. 

Please note, criminal check certificates issued by a third party will not be accepted.

Fee payment

You must pay the required fee at the time you apply online.

Medical Science practitioners

If you have not held an APC or practised the profession within the last 3 years you may be required to work under supervision for up to six months.

Anaesthetic Technicians

If have not held an APC or practised within the profession within the last 3 years you may be required to complete a work-based-assessment. 

Restoration to the register

If your name has been removed from the register you can apply for it to be restored.  You will be required to complete a declaration and pay the restoration fee. 

Revision of the Register

If you have not held an APC in the past five years you will be contacted about if you wish to leave your name on the register.  If you agree, your name will be removed from the register.  If at a later date you wish to return to practice you can apply to have your name restored to the register.