CPD Programmes Medical Laboratory Technician & Medical Laboratory Pre Analytical Technician
Recertification programme for Medical Laboratory Technicians and Medical Laboratory Pre-Analytical Technicians
The Council has accredited the following CPD Programme Provider for Medical Laboratory Technicians and Pre-Analytical Technicians
- New Zealand Institute of Medical Laboratory Science (NZIMLS)
- Asia Pacific Healthcare Group (APHG)
NZIMLS and APHG has met the Council’s-accreditation standards as set out in the “Standards for Accredited CPD Programme Providers” policy document.
When other providers are granted accreditation, they will be added to the list.
The new CPD requirements for Medical Laboratory Technicians and Medical Laboratory Pre-Analytical Technicians will apply from 1 January 2021.
- 24-hours of CPD within each two-year cycle (biennium).
- At least 9-hours of CPD each-year of the relevant biennium.
- 14 hours of CPD must relate to activities classified as substantive CPD each biennium.
CPD and compliance audit
Each year 20% of currently practising medical laboratory science practitioners – that is, they hold an annual practising certificate – will be selected for audit. The audit provides assurance to the public and the Minister of Health that medical laboratory science practitioners are engaging in appropriate CPD that supports their ongoing competence to practise.
You may be exempted from audit if you are currently:
- On maternity leave.
- Working overseas.
- On long-term sick leave (i.e. more than 3 months) and provide a medical certificate.
- Experiencing a family bereavement that results in non-practice for greater than 3 months.
All requests to be exempted from an audit must be made within 14 working days of you being notified you have been selected for audit. You can email these requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.